As Canada’s 5th largest city, responsible for ¼ of all net new jobs in Canada, and with GDP, income, and population growth 3 times the Canadian average, Edmonton continues to outperform every jurisdiction in North America. As our city’s Economic Development Agency, Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) is focused on ensuring this record of success continues unabated, whether the price of oil is $140 or $40.
To do this is not a one generation effort. This is why EEDC’s Board of Directors supports emerging leaders in our city through experiential learning opportunities, namely the Board Observer Program. This program provides emerging leaders with the opportunity to learn first-hand from business and community leaders from across our city, and to find potential mentors to guide them through their careers.
EEDC’s Board of Directors are seeking two new Observers to the Board. These positions offer young professionals the opportunity to attend and participate in board and committee meetings, giving them valuable insight into the functions and operations of EEDC – a multi-divisional, multi-location, Not-for-Profit corporation and public agency.
All applicants to this volunteer position should have, or be able to demonstrate, all of the following attributes:
- Completed post-secondary education obtaining a career-related diploma or degree
- Demonstrate a clear passion for Edmonton
- Previous participation in meaningful community service
- Demonstrate a basic awareness and understanding for the main objectives of EEDC
- Demonstrate a basic appreciation for the role of EEDC in community-driven economic development
- Must attend board and committee meetings (Board, Governance and Audit & Finance) — a monthly commitment of four to six volunteer hours (daytime meetings)
Those selected for interview will additionally demonstrate one or more of the following:
- “Connectedness” – applicant has developed strong personal networks, through community activity, from which they can channel new perspectives to the EEDC Board table, as well as networks appropriate to communicate their EEDC experiences
- Give tangible indication of how they would leverage their EEDC board experiences for future community benefit
- Excellent communication skills
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 12:00pm Friday, March 24, 2017.