The Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) cultivates the energy, innovation and investment needed to build a prosperous and resilient Edmonton economy.
EEDC staff embody the five cultural values of the organization: Public Stewardship, Selfless Approach, Lead The Way, Make An Impact, and Caring For One Another. Our people are city builders who embody the spirit of EEDC and Edmonton; open, inventive, courageous, cooperative and willing to take a risk. In recognition of this work and focus on our people and culture, we were recently recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
As Edmonton Economic Development’s newest division, the Edmonton EXPO Centre is a powerful economic catalyst, providing authentic experiences and limitless opportunities in the most imaginative event space in Canada. Through trade and consumer shows, concerts and festivals, national sporting events, conferences, business meetings and celebrations of every kind, the venue welcomes more than 1.5 million guests annually and delivers more than $33 million in economic impact for our city.
Our Food & Beverage department is thriving and growing, with a team of passionate culinarians who combine our devotion for the details and unbridled creativity with a commitment to our guests in delivering experiences worth celebrating.
As part of the Leadership Team, the Sous Chef will assist in the development and elevation of the long-term vision and goals of the venue to grow revenues and create one of North America’s top performing venues. We are seeking a Sous Chef who has a comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, high volume production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation to share this passion.
Under the direction of the Executive Chef & the Executive Sous Chef, the Sous Chef supervises, organizes, controls, evaluates and coordinates the activities of Chef de Partie, Demi-Chef de Partie, Commis, and kitchen helpers. In this role you will also be responsible for the planning, preparation and presentation of food in compliance with the EXPO Centre’s standards.
- Assist in the management of the entire kitchen
- Motivate team through recognition, coaching and assigning tasks using employee’s strengths and skillset
- Lead kitchen team in chef’s absence
- Provide positive guidance and coaching to kitchen staff members
- Practice a positive work environment and moral
Culinary & Kitchen Management
- Manage food quality and productivity to meet operational demands ensuring expectations are met by keeping detailed records. Provide detailed weekly event planning forecasts to assist with scheduling and preparation.
- Ensure that the mise en place is ready for the next day according to expectations and demands.
- Assist other employees when required with right direction and expectation from executive chef direction and needs
- Help supervises all food preparation, presentation, color, aroma and texture to ensure quality and compliance to EXPO recipes and standards
- Assist the Executive Chef to create and build Menus for special events
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by arranging for repairs and preventative maintenance of work equipment, ensuring work areas are kept clean and orderly and health and safety standards are met
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience and 7 years of culinary experience
- Basic knowledge of working in a commercial kitchen is an asset
- Interprovincial journeyman cook certificate or equivalent
- Proven record in delivering operating results in high volume operations
- Excellent culinary knowledge and willingness to keep knowledge up to date of current culinary trends and practices
- Must possess basic computer knowledge and typing skills
- Ability to:
- delegate tasks to a minimum of 12 employees
- stand, sit or walk for an extended period of time
- work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays
We offer our Employees opportunities for personal and professional growth, benefits, complimentary and discounted food, free parking and a chance to be a part many exciting events and activities happening in Edmonton.
If this opportunity sparks your interest and highlights your strengths, we want to hear from you! Please submit your detailed cover letter and resume outlining your accomplishments, skills and abilities. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.